Defending Divine Mercy

There are people out there who question the Divine Mercy because it was originally on the banned books list. One in particular in this article:

https://www.traditioninaction.org/HotTopics/f072_DivMercy.htm


We will answer the main objections to the Divine Mercy Devotion:

There are 4 objections raised in this article against the Divine Mercy

1. "Saccharin language"

eg1:Jesus to St. Faustina: I am uniting myself to you so intimately as with no other creature."
eg2:Jesus to St. Faustina: your love is purer than that of the angels.

We answer:
Jesus to St. Gertrude:
there is no creature on earth so dear to me as Gertrude...You can find Me in no place where I delight more, or which is more suitable for Me, than in the Sacrament of the Altar, and after that, in the heart and soul of Gertrude, My beloved."
"I will never refuse her (St. Gertrude) of anything.

Mary to Venerable Mary Agreda (Mystical City of God abridged page numbers):
"I wish thee to become entirely spiritualized." p.80
"My dearest daughter...God look upon thee with eyes of sweetest love." p.223
"Of thee particularly I expect this perfection p.224
"Thou must be an angel in promptitude." p.247


God the Father to St Catherine of Siena:
“To him who will love Me and will observe My commandment, will I manifest Myself; and he shall be one thing with Me and I with him.”
“...they are united with Me through love...they are another Myself, inasmuch as they have lost and denied their own will, and are clothed with Mine, are united to Mine, are conformed to Mine.”

Jesus to Bl. Dina Belanger

"I want to deify you in the same way as I united my humanity with my divinity."

2. Jesus to St. Faustina: "do not fear God's judgment, for you will not be judged."

We answer:
The Bible uses similar language, so obviously this could mean something else.

Mt 7:1- Judge not and you will not be judged
1Cor. 2:15- "The spiritual man is to be judged by no one."
Jn 8:15- I judge no one
Jn 12:47- If anyone hears my sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him

Clearly, Jesus does judge people, so His, words in these Bible passages of not judging  aren’t to be taken literalistically. 

Also, judge/judged/judgment is an equivocal term even in the Bible. 

Sometimes it refers to particular/final judgment (which is good for those who are saved)

Sometimes judgment refers to condemnation. 
In Romans 2 and 13, a distinction appears to occur in regards to who will be judged (ie condemned) 

Romans 2:2
We know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who do such things (judging others.”

Romans 13:2
Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

Finally, Jesus, the judge Himself is saying this to St Faustina. Think of Jesus speaking to the good thief on the cross. “This day you will be with me in paradise.” 
It appears Jesus rendered His judgment while this thief is still alive. Jesus, the judge, can make His judgment whenever He wants. 

It’s kind of like, we are bound by the sacraments but God is not. 

Take this example. 
Distinguishing between objective and subjective. 

Objectively we know we must be catholic to go to heaven. Pope Eugene IV declared this. 
We also know in an early Council a pope has declared the God gives all people above the age of reason sufficient grace to be saved. 

(We don’t know what that looks like. But what we do know is that we must be Catholic to be saved objectively speaking)

Subjectively, we do not know what God will do with each individual’s soul. 

Also, declared by a Pope; We do NOT have sufficient hope non-Catholics are saved. 

But it’s not impossible for a non catholic to God to Heaven, but only through the merits of the Catholic Church, the mystical body of Christ, and Gods Grace. 



3. A consecrated host jumped out of the tabernacle into her [non-priest] hands (44)


We answer:

This is not entirely without precedent:

Mary Agreda: At the last supper, the Angel Gabriel (not a priest) brings Mary Holy Communion.

Fatima: An angel (not a priest) gives Communion to the children.

4. "Central Error": 

no requirements of penance, no mention of reparation, no mention of any condition."

We answer:
In the Diary, words of Jesus unless otherwise specified:
(81) To atone for blasphemers I will keep silent when unjustly reprimanded and in this way to make partial amends to you. 
(83) Before I come as the just judge, I am coming first as the king of mercy.
(526) St. Faustina: I lay prostrate...in reparation for the sins of all the world.
(570) No soul will be justified until it turns with confidence to my mercy.
(619) I was told (by my confessor) to do everything in with the pure intention of reparation...
(635) Mary: Prepare the world for the second coming of him who will come, not as a merciful savior, but as a just judge.
(699) The soul that will go to confession and receive Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment.
(742) I demand of you deeds of mercy
(848) (My unfathomable mercy) is a sign for the end times; after it will come the day of justice.
(873) Unite yourself with my agonizing heart and make reparation to my justice.
(927) St. Faustina: I received Holy Communion as an act of reparation
(942) St. Faustina: Jesus is sending me this kind of suffering that i may make reparation
(965) Souls perish in spite of my bitter passion...If they will not adore my mercy, they will perish for all eternity. 
(1159) St. Faustina: God's floodgates have been opened for us. Let us want to take advantage of them before the day of God’s justice arrives. And that will be a dreadful day!
(1160) I have eternity for punishing and so am prolonging the time of mercy for the sake of (sinners). But woe to them if they do not recognize this time of my visitation. 
(1146) He who refuses to pass through the door of my mercy must pass through the door of my justice.
(1226) (The souls in purgatory) they are making retribution to my justice.
(1248) St. Faustina: I desire to make reparation to Jesus
(1276) St. Faustina: He allowed these sufferings in order to offer reparation
(1434) St. Faustina: The Lord gave me knowledge of his anger toward mankind which deserves to have its days shortened because of its sins. 
(1448) In the tribunal of mercy (sacrament of reconciliation) there the greatest miracle takes place. 
(1588) I use punishment when they themselves force me to do so.
(1816) St. Faustina: the whole day I lived in an act of reparation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fr Rafferty meeting with Sr. Lucia

The Cross of Amazing Grace (most indulgenced medal ever)